Friday, April 6, 2012

Gay Mormons

(*yes, they exist.)

I had the great opportunity to go to a Gay Forum at BYU this week. Unfortunately, since Jeff works nights, I had to take Maddie with me to the forum, and we got off to a late start. After getting there just a little late, this is what we found:




Every door was packed to capacity. Kind of a fire hazard, but luckily no one forced anyone to leave. After doing my best to stand in the hall and listen to what was being said, I still didn't hear anything, and a few people looked a little annoyed with how much babbling maddie was doing. 

But, when I got home my awesome friend, emily, directed me to this website which has a somewhat written transcript of the event: http://thestudentreview.org/2012/04/04/liveblogging-the-byu-panel-of-gay-students/

But if you're not willing to check out the transcript, let me give you the low-down: 1 bisexual and 3 openly gay BYU students explained each of their stories growing up and how they came to realize their same gender attraction. 
Some key points that really touched me:
-They emphasized that they never "chose" to have same-sex attraction, and that their attraction was as much a part of who they were as being heterosexual would be for anyone else.
- They brought awareness to how common this is: "6% of the general population is gay
What that means is that at BYU, 1800 gay students. in every ward there are 15 gay kids and in a class of 50 there are 3".
- Each of the students testified that their faith had grown so much stronger and that they felt peace that God loves them for who they are. 

This is a topic that is really near and dear to my heart. Ever since I can remember I've been surrounded by gay friends and family. The idea that anyone would choose to have same-sex attraction is about as ridiculous as saying that I chose to be attracted to Jeff. 

Overall, I was really impressed by how many BYU students were supportive of LBGT students. When Jeff and I were applying to graduate school, we recieved a lot of criticism from graduate schools about being mormon. Professors would be concerned that because we were mormon we would refuse to counsel gay clients. 


My biggest hope is that more mormons can educate themselves on this topic and preach Christ-like acceptance and love so that we can shed the homophobic stereotype that the rest of the country views us as.



"All of Heavenly Father's children desire to love and be loved... some people with same-gender attraction have felt rejected because members of the Church did not always show love. No member of the Church should ever be intolerant," (Official Church Pamphlet, "God Loveth His Children, 2007).

ps - still wanting to know more? check out this website: http://farbetweenmovie.com/

2 comments:

  1. I tried to share this with a friend only she stated the "you can be gay, you just can't act on it" phrase.

    *facepalm*

    Someday I'll have the courage to say "You keep using that phrase, I don't think that phrase means what you think it means."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I've heard that phrase a lot. I can't say I don't blame people for saying it, that's what the church preaches. I always just ask "what would you do if you were told you could only ever be with women?" Sometimes that helps put it into perspective a little better.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave a little note. :)