Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's ghost of holiday past

Jeff and I had a really sweet valentine's day last year. We had scheduled my c-section for four days away, and I was terrified. Full of pregnancy hormones and a very real sense of change of EVERYTHING, I woke up almost every morning crying. I was mourning my old life, scared that I wouldn't be a good mother, scared to go through this without any family around, and absolutely terrified for my baby's health and whether we would be able to turn her so she wasn't breech anymore.

Jeff, sensing that I needed to get my mind off of everything, developed an amazing plan. A valentine's day full of activities that we had always wanted to do, but never had the time for, and mostly things that we couldn't do with a baby.

1. Go out to dinner on a whim. Check. (PF changs. I remember having so many false contractions in the restaurant that I spent most of the time in the bathroom, lying down on the floor of the hadicapped stall. But being stubborn, I insisted we made the most of it and finished our meal.)

2. Go see a movie. Check. It was some romantic comedy that did not help my emotions any, and I ended up weeping through the whole thing. haha!

3. go to Schmidt's bakery. I was convinced that we would never leave the house after the baby was born for some reason. So we got fancy pastries and pretended to be cultured. Also, I remember being hungry 24/7, so maybe it was just another excuse to eat something.

We went to schmidt's bakery, which was this really cute, semi-famous bakery near our house.

and the stuff we bought was really good. 

Ugh. I do not miss how bloated I was back then. My husband looks fantastic, as always. 

And Jeff bought me my favorite guilty pleasure food: cinnamon buns. I'm laughing now realizing how many of these were food-related. Oh, boy was I pregnant. 
Jeff bought flowers, too. 

Now that the baby has been here for almost a year, I can truly say I was crazy for being so scared of change. As fun as last valentine's day was, this year is MILES better.

So what are we doing this year? 
Honestly, not too much. When you have a baby, valentine's day becomes less about romance, and more about counting your blessings. But to be honest, the superficial pressure of proving your love by spending a ton of money on a romantic gesture is gone, and I don't miss it at all. I don't mourn my past life like I once thought I would. Now excuse me while I go spend time with the two loves of my life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave a little note. :)