Saturday, November 6, 2010

How we met

It's been about 2 and a half years since Jeff and I met. Because I love our story so much, I was really upset when we couldn't remember all the details at dinner the other night! So I decided that I should probably write it down so I can remember for our children.
This is how it went. I realize I wrote a lot, so I don't really expect anyone to read all of it. But it is a pretty great story. :)

Jeff and I both worked at the BYU bookstore. He was custodial, I worked the register at music/video. The very first time I saw Jeff, he was trying to answer some customers questions, and I got mad at him for trying to answer their questions... I mean, really - this was MY department.
The Register where Jeff and I met
I also remember him being very good-looking, but I assumed that he was married because he looked much older than me. Jeff doesn't remember this at all.
 
The first time Jeff noticed me... was never. Jeff actually had a girlfriend at this point, so he did his best not to notice me, which made me think he was creepy. I actually wrote home to my best friend, Holly, and I told her about the creepy Janitor who came to took my trash but never talked to me.

So one day when my roommate, Megan came to visit me at work, I decided to get the nerve up to talk to Jeff. I was probably feeling extra confident because I wanted to show off my flirting skills to my roommate. This was on Friday, September 5th. Who knows what I actually said, but I know I found out Jeff's name, made fun of him for taking my trash, and deemed him with the nickname "Janitor Jeff".
After we just started dating
Sometime during all of this, Jeff broke up with his past girlfriend, which was pretty convenient - I had just broken up with my last boyfriend about 2 weeks prior to meeting Jeff.

So, still mourning a breakup with his last girlfriend, Jeff ignored me for a week. Mind you, I was not used to being ignored, so I laid it on pretty thick. I mean, I used all my best flirting skills to the best of my ability. On Thursday, September 11th, I remember distinctively when Jeff pulled out his cell phone to check something, I said "oh, man what a cool phone. Can I see it?" and then programmed my number into it. That's some good stuff right there!

So that day he joked with me that he would meet me after work "behind the bushes". I don't know why he even said that, I mean, it's just creepy to say something like that. Apparently he thought it was funny, and he thought Iwould know he was joking... but me being a naive freshmen, I thought there might have been a place on campus known as "the bushes"... so I went looking. Once I realized that he was joking, I walked home, alone, in the dark. and pretty mad. I was done with this kid.

Good thing the next day he asked me out (a whole week after having broke up with his girlfriend, mind you), and I said yes, because even though I was done with this guy, I never say no to a first date.
Here are some highlights from the first date:
-Jeff wore a rainbow shirt (which I realize now he probably stole from his older brother, willie)
-He took me to the dollar theater, we saw kung-fu panda with his roommates.
-He swears that I played footsie with him. That does not sound like me.
-He stole my pastel blue coat and wore it to make me laugh
-we played mario bros at his apartment
-we stayed up until 2 am talking. I remember thinking "this is a guy I could marry... except I'm not getting married."

Awkward. After our 2nd Date.
Two days later, Sunday, the 14th, we went tunnel singing together. I remember feeling awkward because I ran into a few guys that I had dated, and they asked me out on a date.. while I was on a date with Jeff. whoops! I remember thinking that Jeff was really cute, and had a good singing voice.
While walking back home, I started humming  Jason Mraz's "I'm yours", and then Jeff started singing the song to me, "serendaing me". It was very cute. I was falling for him.

Then he ignored me. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. I mean, I would say hi, and he would walk right past me at work. It was incredibly awkward. I would listen to I'm Yours during the whole time, hoping that he would talk to me.
(turns out Jeff was only listening to that song, too. and he ignored me because he thought I didn't like him, and he didn't want to get his heart broken)

1st Football game together
Thursday - I challenged Jeff to Guitar Hero. It was pretty much just an excuse to get him to hang out with me again. At this time, I thought that maybe Jeff thought we were just friends, so while we were walking to get ice cream, I laid it on the line, and told him that I like him. (I don't think Jeff was ready for my forwardness). He told me he liked me, too. So I said to him "ok, so are you ever going to hold my hand?" Awful, I know! But the push wasn't bad... and after all, it was the 4th date we had been on - long overdue! He held my hand while we watched a movie and ate ice cream. :)

Friday Jeff came over for a movie date. I wanted him to kiss me, and he knew it. He suggested we go on a walk. We came to a bridge over the provo river, where Jeff leaned over to kiss me. And then picked me up and kissed me again. And then we walked all around until reeaally late, about three or four in the morning. Just talking, getting to know each other better, and stopping to kiss each other about every few steps or so.
*let me note that the kiss wasn't just good, it was fireworks.

And later on, he proposed on the same bridge.

The bridge that we had our first kiss
It should be known that when Jeff first told me that he loved me, I told him that was nice, but that I was planning on serving a mission, so he'd have to wait for me if he wanted to marry me. He said ok, but knew that he would convince me otherwise. Obviously, he won.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man. I remember when all this was happening. :) Hah, Memories from the Music/Video desk.

    I specifically recall when you came in to relieve me at work one day, and told me about the cute janitor you had the hots for--Back when I used to stay for like, half an hour after my shift and we'd talk about boys the whole time-- you'd talk about 'janitor Jeff' and I'd talk about "Muscles" or "Bengay." Remember them? haha....yeahh.

    I love that I saw you guys's whole relationship develop. I remember you telling me about when he asked you out, to you being frustrated that he wasn't "making a move" to your first kiss, to "love," to "The M Talk," and how THAT freaked you out, to when you guys decided to get married and got engaged. Haha. Its fun to keep seeing it develop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read the whole thing! too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading your trip down memory lane!
    And as always, you sure do have a great way with words!
    Loved the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so cute amber!!
    {i read the whole thing as well}
    i could totally imagine you getting pissed when he was trying to answer your customers qs. hahaha
    good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I think the way we met was really cute, too. I'm glad other people do, too!

    Erin - I totally remember freaking out when Jeff brought up marriage and telling you all about it! Man, I miss those days where you would stay for an extra half hour just because. :)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day and leave a little note. :)